Monday, August 31, 2009

I'd Rather Have My Hands Full...

So it never fails--whenever I go out with the boys, someone always comments, "You've sure got your hands full." Most times I think they mean well, but sometimes their tone is more incredulous and sarcastic than kind and supportive at the sight of a mom with a four-year old, two-year old and ten-month old in tow.
A friend of mine has four boys, six and under. She's had people say things to her like, "Got enough kids there?", "Are you trying to repopulate the earth?" (she only has four here, people!), "You do know how this happens, don't you?" Another friend is mother to nine. She wants to make t-shirts that read, "Yes, they're all our's. Yes, we know how this happens. No, we're not Catholic. No, we're not Mormon. No, we're not done yet!"  The other day I read in an issue of Above Rubies http://www.aboverubies.org/,

"Out shopping with my five children aged six, four, two and newborn twins, a lady stopped and said, 'Looking at your family makes me feel sick to my stomach'"...
What has happened to society that children are seen as a destructive force to our planet, rather than one of the greatest blessings this planet holds? Last I checked, there are still enough resources to go around, especially if you're frugal with what you use. Souls that last for eternity come into the earth only one way--having children. I'd take my kids over plastic any day!
Sure there are plenty of days when I, too, feel like I "sure do have my hands full." Some moments, some days, are very trying. But my boys do add so much more to my life. When they say something, or think to do something that I never would have imagined, it brings such joy to my heart. Even in my best moments of creativity, I still couldn't invent such great people. But God did. And they are a blessing. So next time someone says to me, "You sure do have your hands full", I will respond with a smile, "Yes, and I'd rather have them full than empty!"
(Gratituesday is hosted by Laura at Heavenly Homemakers http://www.heavenlyhomemakers.com/)                                                                                                      

9 comments:

  1. Amen, Amen , Amen!

    It is very sad how our society views having children. I get the same things said to me ALL THE TIME! In fact, this is ironic because I was just about to blog about this very same thing!
    I am currently 30 weeks pregnant with my 4th baby, I look young for my age (I'm 30), and so when I go out with all my children I get nothing but rude remarks.

    Then when I tell them I homeschool...I get called crazy. Nice huh?

    I love "Above Rubies" and recieve their magazine. Isn't it wonderful?

    Thanks for this post...I really enjoyed it. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used to get that look all the time with my 3 boys. But the most supportive people were the elderly ones I would run into. They would smile and say something like, "It's nice to see a big family again!" I love seeing big families because I know the joy, chaos and love that abounds in my house probably fills theirs too! Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your post really touched me because I felt like you were talking about me. I have 4 girls ages 5 and under and we get those comments all the time. My family even gives them and right now I am ill and we may not have anymore children and my family seems happy about that. I see kids as a blessing from God and I will take how many he will bless me with. Thanks for this post it was a good oen

    ReplyDelete
  4. And you know what? I have never heard anyone poke fun or say mean things about how many dogs, goldfish, or cats someone has. People worship the environment, the animal kingdom, and "mother nature", but the human is only seen as destructive and evil.

    That is how I know this current war on children is from the devil, because it targets God's prized creation and makes a mockery of his command to go forth and fill the earth.

    The last time I looked at Google Earth there was plenty of open space on this planet for more kids.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks friends for the comments! Be encouraged:) I was thinking today that since the Bible calls us the children of God, the Lord himself has a lot of "kids" if you will :) But it's especially sad, like Casey said, when the naysayers come from our own families-like they'd be more excited to hear you just adopted a dog from the pound than you're expecting a new baby. May we all be confident with the families God blesses us with! Blessings, Cheryl

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great Post!!! Very Impressive :-) Ironically, most women I spent time with who are older tell me they wish they'd have had more kids. I truly believe a big part of the problem is JEALOUSY. Ugly word that sparks ugly emotions. Nice meeting you :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Here's a good response:

    "If you think my hands are full, you should see my heart!"

    Blessings in Jesus.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I stumbled on your blog for the first time today, and felt I could have written this myself! I have 3 boys 5 and under, and get this comment ALL THE TIME! I have most recently taken to answering with "Yes, they are, and what a lovely thing to be full of, too!" And I do know someone with a large family who owns and wears a t-shirt with those very sentiments (yes, they're all mine, yes, I know where they come from, etc.) listed on it. Blessings on you and your family!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Loved this post! I also receive "Above Rubies" and read that same article. I love that magazine and devour it as soon as it comes. We have 6 children (12-1) and are expecting our 7th in March, so I get a lot of "You've sure got your hands full" and "How do you do it?". I don't get much sleep sometimes, but if that is the worst thing in my life, so be it!

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis