Saturday, September 26, 2009

Homemade Furniture Polish


When I couldn't find my furniture polish today, I googled how to make your own. This is probably not anything new to anyone but me:) but just in case (for finished wood)--
  • 2 parts olive (or vegetable) oil
  • 1 part lemon juice
I used 1/4 c. olive oil that I bought in a 3 L jug at Sam's Club for about $12. I used 1/8c. (or a half) of a large lemon.

Apply in the direction of the grain with a cloth and then buff with another cloth until it no longer looks oily.
Impressive results! My wood is shining!

(And I am saving lots of money! I estimate my 3L of olive oil will yield about 67 one-fourth cup servings. That is about .18 cents per use, plus the cost of the lemon...usually about .50 in our area. The lemon does make the homemade polish more expensive, but it is all natural and smells great. Plus, the kids can drink this stuff--probably wouldn't want to, but if they do, at least they're getting their omega-3's from the olive oil and vitamin C from the lemon!) :)

Do you use homemade natural cleaners? If so, what are some of your favorite "recipes"? Do you notice better results with natural as opposed to commercial? I'd love to hear from you!

4 comments:

  1. Ive used olive oil before too. It does work great. Baking soda is great for scrubbing counters, stovetop, or the bathroom, vinegar is a wonderful cleaner/disinfectant/deodorizer. Vinegar makes my fridge shine too! It makes it REALLY streak free in the fridge. I also use it to clean my floors. It smells just like vinegar for a bit, but when it evaporates you cant smell it anymore. It doesnt make build up, and makes the floors look very clean. That and I use it in my dishwasher if my dishes start to look cloudy, or as windex! I do buy dish soap and laundry detergent. You can make your own laundry detergent, but my washing machine needs HE detergent, and I haven't found out how to do that yet!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Liz, I know how!! I can tell you all about it @ church tomorrow. It is perfect for HE (we have the old kind but I've studied this) :) because it does not make any suds. I found all the necessary ingredients at Smiths.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Please do email me the recipe! I will have to figure out the prices and see if I should use homemade or not. THANKS A TON! Let me know when you want to learn how to cut your boys' hair.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also love olive oil. You can mix it with another nice smelling oil for a different "flavor". I also use vinegar for most of my other cleaning projects. To make an all purpose spray, mix one part vinegar to one part water. Add about 10 drops of eucalyptus oil. This will smell very nice and also add more anti-bacterial properties to your spray.

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis