Thursday, January 21, 2010

A Simple Way to Save At Least $100

We use a lot of plastic wrap in our house. Not quite as much as I would if I followed the Total Woman tip from the 70's of greeting your husband at the door wrapped only in plastic wrap; but still, we go through a lot of it each day. I cover the boys' partially eaten plates with it, wrap leftovers in it, wrap vegetables in it, and more. I could easily go through a box of Saran Wrap a month.

However....

A while ago, I read a tip (in the Tightwad Gazette, I think) to buy your plastic wrap in bulk at Sam's Club or Costco. You pay about $9 for 3,000 square feet of it. That's some serious wrapping. You'll also want to write the date you purchase the plastic wrap on the box. It will amaze you how long it lasts. My date has faded, but I think it says January 05 or 06, and there is still plenty left.


So by this one simple purchase, I figure I have saved at least $100, and I continue to save since I do not need plastic wrap anytime soon. If plastic wrap costs about $3 a box at the store (on the low end), and I would go through a box a month, I would spend $36 a year for plastic wrap. Since I have had mine for at least three years, I have already saved $100.

The drawback is you have to find someplace to store your large box of plastic wrap. For me, I put it in a pull-out drawer-type cupboard I have. I don't really have much of a pantry, but if I did, that would be a good place too. Or just stash it out in the open, and encourage them to get on the bulk-plastic-wrap, super-savings-bandwagon too! (kidding) :)

The other thing is you would have to have a club membership. But if you don't, chances are you know someone who does have a Sam's or Costco membership. If you're nice to them, and they're nice to you, they could probably pick you up a box on their next trip, and you could reimburse them for it. Tell them you won't have to ask them to buy it again for you for years.

Visit Frugal Fridays for more frugal tips!

5 comments:

  1. We love our Costco saran wrap, and it comes in smaller boxes. We bought a pair (they come in pairs) in 2001, and had to buy a new pair last year, so they definitely last!

    I also do a lot of non-wrap wrap-ups. A bowl can have a small plate rested on top. Plastic containers with lids and mason jars with lids work well for leftovers, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good idea. I am pretty sure I keep saran wrap company in business! The drawer thing would be my main problem too. We'll see......

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love my Sams Club wrap! I haven't dressed in it though...yet, ha ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love my Sam's Club wrap! I am still using my mine that I bought 5 years ago, however, mine is getting low that I figure in the next month or two I'll have to buy more. :) I keep mine out on the kitchen counter despite it taking up some valuable real estate. Talking about it makes me remember that I was going to figure out a new home for it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good idea! This is something I haven't thought about buying at Sam's, but I do remember that my Granny (who had owned a restaurant) ALWAYS bought her plastic wrap at Sam's.

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis