Thursday, March 11, 2010

Let's Talk Makeup!

Coffee Talk Thursday

This is a true girl talk topic this Coffee Talk Thursday! Sorry it's up a little late--I have a pukey baby. :(
Today, I thought it would be fun to talk about some of the makeup products and brands we love; maybe we can all gain some fun new ideas and money-saving tips. Here are my favorite things:

I skip toner and love Mary Kay TimeWise Age-Fighting Moisturizer Sunscreen SPF 15moisturizer. When I can afford it, I like the Time Wise Day Solution Sunscreen & Night Solution. Personally, I don't always think it's worth it to spend a a lot of money on expensive moisturizing/line-minimizing products. I think the most important key is to keep your skin soft and supple with a decent moisturizer period. It doesn't have to cost oodles and oodles.

Foundation: My mother is a lifelong Estee Lauder user. She bought me my first bottle of Estee Lauder Lucidity Light-Diffusing Makeup SPF 8foundation as a teen; off and on, I have been using it ever since. I buy Estee Lauder makeup when they're in gift, or when I have a gift card.

I have also used, and recommend, Mary Kay's mineral makeup as well as Bare Minerals makeup (my mother-in-law uses Bare Escentuals bareMinerals SPF 15 Foundation exclusively).
I have bought foundation from the drug store, including fragrance-free Cover Girl, and Almay, and I am happy with them.
What kind of foundation do you use, and do you love it? (Always looking for good drug-store brands to save money!)

Powder: Since I use mineral makeup a lot of the time, I tend to skip this step. But if I had to buy it, I've always love Clinique's loose powder. I bought Maybelline pressed powder and use it with a loose powder brush (that's a good tip, by the way!).

Eye shadow:
I used to sell Mary Kay in college. I think their eye shadows are some of the best. They wear really well. I like Clinique's too. My mother-in-law has bought me several Bare Minerals' shadows, and they're good too (they're a loose powder, though). Some have a lot of glimmer, so you have to watch that if you don't want it, but  I like them.

Eye Liner: I like Clinique's pencils with the smudge sponge. Do you have one you like? I'm always looking for good (and cheap!) recommendations here!
Mascara: Lancome has a great mascara, Lancome Definicils High Definition Mascara . Did you know that Loreal is the drug-store offshoot of Lancome? Loreal Voluminous mascara is very similar to Defencils--for a fraction of the price.

I also recently tried Maybelline's Maybelline Volum' Express Colossal - Classic Black and really like it as well.



And then, who can beat the tried and true Great Lash mascara?

Blush:
I am not at all picky here. I use a bunch of various brands I have received as free gifts with purchase. Having sold Mary Kay, I do like the MK brand. I recently bought a Maybelline blush on sale. I think it works fine (although I had to take the first one back, because the color wouldn't show up--it was defective). For me, finding a good color that is a close match to the natural blush of my skin is more important than using a particular brand (so I would buy a blush at Target I liked, rather than spending a lot of money at the makeup counter for one).
Lipsticks:
I like Mary Kay lipstick. It's nice and creamy. But recently, I discovered Maybelline Color Sensational lipstick and love it! I really like the "Nearly There" and "Totally Toffee" colors (it's not a reddish toffee--more of a nice neutral shade that I think just about everyone could wear nicely).
Those are some of my faves! What are yours?

7 comments:

  1. I use Watkins creamy cleanser and then Watkins pore scrub for my facial cleaning. I usually use Mary Kay blush and eye shadow. For moisturizing, I use the Watkins day/night facial lotion. My lipstick tends to be Revlon neutral colors, but sometimes I splurge and use a bright pink Mary Kay color. The only product that I'm committed to is my Watkins program. My colors I pickup whenever they are almost free or on sale at CVS. I've never been a huge make-up fan, but do like to use a little bit now and again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Janelle!
    That's fun--I didn't know Watkins made skincare. Do you order it online? I love their Vanilla extract and cinnamon. I actually need to order some more one of these days.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Let's see here...

    Skincare: Would have to be Panoxyle Soap. I have oily acne prone skin and this soap is the only over the counter remedy that works for me and trust me I've tried them all! When I have the extra cash I like to use Clinique's moisturizer for oily skin. It makes your face feel like silk and not greasy.

    Foundation: I'm a huge fan of Bare Minerals. The loose powder blends so well with my olive skin tone. I tend to have problems with all other foundations when it comes to shades. Also my skin is so much clearer when I use this foundation.

    Eyeshadow: Right now all I use is the Covergirl Eyeshadow Quads. They are cheap and they work pretty well.

    Mascara: CoverGirl Lash Blast is the only way to go. After trying several different drugstore brands this is the only mascara for me!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can't offer any recommendations as my Dad kept nagging me as a teenager and turned me off make-up for life! He'd keep telling me to "wash that tractor dust off your face." So I quit bothering... I suppose it helps that usually my skin is blemish free. My aunt did put a little make-up on for me on my wedding day (attached picture) but those days are few and far between. Maybe I'll screw up my courage and try some of the products you gals like.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm a straight up Noxema girl for removing makeup. I love the cool, clean feeling!

    I use a variety of the Cover Girl TruBlend makeup. I really liked the whipped stuff, but they didn't have it last time so I bought some stuff with a pump and I really like it too now.

    I use the Physician's Formula (I think that's brand) eyeshadow strips. You know, the ones made for specifically for your eye color? I'm a blue eyed girl, and I love having someone else tell me what should look good. It almost always does, too!

    I use the PF dual ended mascara, too - one's black and one's blue. Love it!

    I just use lipgloss, and my favorite brand is New York Color in Au Natural.

    I love my cheap makeup!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What fun, thanks for sharing.
    I cleanse about 4 days of the week with store brand of Cetaphil cleanser and the other 3 days with Mary Kay Timewise cleanser. I love the little scrubbies in the timewise! I use Firm a Lift after I cleanse. I get this at QVC. It really works on sagging skin. Then, I use Mary Kay moist. with spf. Foundation is Mary Kay or Bare Ess. mineral found. I use Mary Kay loose powder...Blush, eye shadow and eye liner are Avon and I LOVE Mary Kay Lipstick in Toffee and Whipped Berries. Mascara is Mary Kay waterproof black.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I rarely put on a full glowing coat of make-up, but my favorite is BE Bare Minerals. I use the foundation powder daily and the rest when I have time. It looks best on me and feels best. I don't feel it. :) I like this for a natural yet glowing look. My second choice is Mary Kay when I want more glam. I have to go so light on it to not look overdone (for my taste) but it looks so polished especially with the powder at the end. Sometimes I use MK over the BE foundation since I love not feeling the foundation. I love the MK Timewise cleanser but don't use it due to the cost. I use Olay moisturizer because it works with my combo skin. Timewise didn't work for me or I'd splurge on it. I love Voluminous mascara! I can't stand the feeling of mascara though; so rarely wear it. I used to love Cover Girl's Baby Lash in the 90's, but they stopped making it. If there is anything like it, I'd love to know!

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis