Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Why I Said Goodbye to Ads

Offering ad zones on one's blog allows a blogger to write for fun and earn a little money at the same time (in my eight months of blogging, I've finally earned enough to pay for a couple of lattes). The bigger the blog, the more advertising revenue one generates. Unfortunately, there is also room for a lot of sleeze--however inadvertent. That's why I removed all Adbrite zones on my page.

Although ads must be approved before they show up here, one horribly offensive ad slipped through. I am so, so sorry if you saw it. I was appalled when I saw it. The picture was against every single one of my values. I could have just deleted the ad, but again, I don't know how it got there, since none of the approved ads bore any resemblance to this vulgar ad. So to be on the safe side, I deleted every Adbrite ad zone.

Making a few extra dollars is just not worth the cost of something that egregious. If we blog with integrity, our ads should reflect our integrity. While we cannot control the content of every single ad, we can control what we allow on our pages. They are, after all, our blogs for which we are selling ad space. So ultimately, the responsibility rests with us.

Again, I want to apologize if you saw that ad. Apparently, different ads will pop up based on your browsing habits, so not everyone will see the same thing. Modesty, traditional marriage, and fidelity are virtues I cherish; having an ad on my blog that promotes something different is just not something I am willing to do, even if someone pays me for it. The cost is too great.

Linked to We Are That Family.

8 comments:

  1. I didn't see the ad but I applaud you for removing the ads. It is refreshing to see someone stand up for what she believes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here here I did not see the ad in question but bravo for standing up to not allowing it to happen again..

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't see the ad either, but good for you taking a stand. I do not have ads on my blog and just don't think it would be worth it for me to put them there. I think your blog is looking great right now anyway!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I didn't see the offensive ad, but I know what you mean. I dropped a couple of ad networks for the same reason.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I didn't see the ad either, but glad to her that you were able to drop it quickly. Thank you for sharing as I've thought about adding the blogger ad but hadn't made that step and now don't think I will.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I didn't see it either, but good for you!! And your blog looks so sophisticated and has such great info and so many categories, I would have guessed you had blogged for years!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Appreciate your conviction and willing to stand firm on them! Bless you :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for taking a stand. It would be nice if you could receive some $$$ to help balance the time you spend on the blog--maybe you can take advertisers directly, that are in line with your and your readers values. Kerry D.

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis