Thursday, December 10, 2009

When Your Car Gets Hit and You Give a Plate Of Cookies...

How ironic that I just blogged about conquering anger with kindness and goodness! God must have been preparing me for what was coming today. Luckily, I woke up early and had a few minutes to fuel up for the day in the Word and prayer, so I started the day on the right foot so to speak.

My friend hosted a cookie exchange this morning. Several moms from our church were there. I chose to park on the street, along with several other of my friends.

About a half an hour into the fellowship time, one of the ladies who was leaving early came back in and asked who drives the white mini-van with the car top carrier. Me. She said it just got hit. Great.

So I went outside. The damage wasn't too bad fortunately. I have no idea why, out of all the cars that were on the street at that time, God chose that it should be mine that this young woman should hit. However, I was able to invite her to church with us, get her phone number (she's a retired Marine who's now working as a nanny, so maybe some babysitting in the future??!), and I've already chatted with her on the phone for a bit. So maybe God orchestrated a small fender bender to bring about a Christian friendship for His purposes in her life.

When my friend gave her a plate full of cookies, she was completely taken back. She said where she was from, if she would have gone to the door to tell someone she just hit their car, they would scream at her. And here, she gets kindness, a cup of coffee, and a plate of cookies. (Please don't sideswipe me in the future. You may not get cookies next time). :)

So sometimes, anger is a natural response (I should have clarified that better in yesterday's post). Still, as Jesus taught, "In your anger, do not sin." I wasn't thrilled that my van got hit (who would be?), but I tried to respond kindly. And that just may make all the difference in my new friend's life.

1 comment:

  1. What a super example of returning blessing, thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis