Monday, February 21, 2011

Babies and Wedding Rings

My sister-in-law called a few days ago and said she heard on the radio about an old wives' tale to predict the sex of the baby one's carrying. Apparently, many women called in to the show and said it really works. Here's what you do:
  • Take a wedding ring, washer, or pin
  • Tie a piece of thread to it
  • Wind it up so that the thread is tightly wound
  • Hold the item over mom-to-be's belly while she is lying down and let it unwind itself. (Supposedly it works best to hold it right below the belly button, where the baby would be around three months).
  • If the needle or wedding ring swings in a strong circular motion, you will--according to the tale--be having a girl. If it moves in a to and fro motion like a pendulum, you will be having a boy. [Other sites say the opposite.] (info from http://www.babygenderprediction.com/needle-gender-prediction.html)
We tried it tonight for fun. We also performed the test on our boys. For each of them, the ring definitely went back and forth. For me, we tried it three different times. Each time, the ring started rapidly spinning in a circle. My husband thought it was unbelievable. You just have to try it to see for yourself!

I was curious to know the theory behind this. This forum says it's because "men and women give off different hormone energy...Metal picks up on the energy. For men, their 'waves' tend to go from side to side and women go around in a circle. So your wedding band picks up on the waves coming from the baby!" One woman wrote: "You have to be showing a little for this to work because when I did the top of my belly the ring was confused and went side to side and in a circle. I guess it picked up both baby and my energy. Well when I put the ring lower (over my uterus where I feel the baby kick) it started to go side to side right away!"
Hmm...interesting. I'm not putting too much stock into this, but it was fun to try! Whether God gives a fourth boy or our first girl this August, we'll lovingly welcome His gift into our family. The boys would love to have a sister, though, and yes, I'll admit--my mother's heart longs for a daughter someday. We'll see what happens!

I'd love to hear if you've tried the wedding ring test and what your results are!

(Linked to Works for Me Wednesday)

3 comments:

  1. I was baffled as to how this works, but it was consistent and obvious. When we did it over the boys, every time, the ring would swing in a line back and forth. Every time we did it over Cheryl's baby bump below the belly button, it would swing in a circular motion. I really couldn't believe my eyes. Strange. Very strange. I guess we'll find out in August.

    Cheryl's husband.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I've never tried that, but I will tell you that I'm pregnant with #4 after 3 boys and just found out that it's a girl. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations, Katy-Anne! You will have to try this out and tell me what it does as a way to test its accuracy!!

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis