Saturday, February 19, 2011

The Hair Academy

For the past several weeks, I've been needing a hair cut, and I wanted to get my highlights touched up. But the salon I usually go to charges $26 for a hair cut, and $85 for a cut and color--definitely not in the "having-a-baby-without-insurance" budget. So when an acquaintance posted on Facebook that her daughter was now accepting clients at one of the local beauty academies, I thought it might be a win-win for both of us: she gets the practice she needs for school, and I get a hair cut and highlights for a fraction of the cost--$7 for a hair cut, $20 for highlights.

The best part is she did a fabulous job, and I will definitely be going back!

In our town, there are three cosmetology schools. The one I went to is the newest, and according to reputation, the trendiest. Instructors come around to check everything, and the instructor who checked my hair worked for years as a cosmetologist. I actually heard of him when I was still working in news. Supposedly, he is pretty good at doing hair.

This academy is a full-service training salon. You can get a manicure for $6, a spa pedicure for $25 (which is only slightly less than at a regular salon around here), and other services. If I had a little girl, I think it would be fun to go for budget-friendly-mother-daughter manicures. 

If you're looking for a way to save on hair cuts, I encourage you to check into your local beauty academies. You'll not only save money, you might just come away with a great hair-do too! It can be our secret. :)

1 comment:

  1. I've been going to our little school of cosmetology for years and haven't had a bad haircut yet! Glad you found one that works for you.

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis