Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Cranberry-Apricot Granola Bars


Making anything homemade helps save money, and that's especially true when it comes to snacks. Homemade snacks are also often much healthier than their store-bought counterparts.  (And isn't it rewarding to sit down to eat something that you know you made from scratch minutes ago with no strange ingredients or preservatives?)

Today I made a snack I've been meaning to try for awhile. It's fairly easy, very healthy, and super delicious! My husband (who has quite the sweet tooth) said the only thing he didn't like about this recipe is that it didn't make more! (I will try to double it next time). I found it in Parents magazine, and the recipe is available online as well.

Cranberry-Apricot Granola Bars


1 cup purchased low-fat granola (I made my own)
1 cup rolled oats
1 cup dried apricots and/or dried cranberries, finely chopped (I used only cranberries)
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1 egg
1/4 cup honey
1/4 cup canola oil
1/4 tsp. cinnamon
Directions:
1. Heat oven to 325°F. Line an 8x8-inch baking pan with foil, allowing foil to extend over edges of pan. Lightly coat the foil with vegetable cooking spray; set pan aside.
2. In a large bowl stir together the granola, oats, fruit, and flour. In a small bowl whisk together the egg, honey, oil, and cinnamon. Add to granola mixture. Stir until combined. Pat mixture firmly into prepared pan.
3. Bake for 30 minutes or until browned. Cool in pan on a wire rack. Use foil to lift mixture from pan. Trim edges, if desired. Cut into bars.
4. To store, place in an airtight container and store at room temperature up to 3 days or freeze up to 3 months. Makes 15.


Parents.com
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Nutrition Facts (if you really want to know) :)

Servings Per Recipe 15
Amount Per Serving
Calories 157
Total Fat (g) 5
Saturated Fat (g) 1
Monounsaturated Fat (g) 3
Polyunsaturated Fat (g) 1
Cholesterol (mg) 14
Sodium (mg) 24
Carbohydrate (g) 26
Total Sugar (g) 12
Fiber (g) 3
Protein (g) 4
Vitamin A (DV%) 0
Vitamin C (DV%) 1
Calcium (DV%) 2
Iron (DV%) 7

(Find more fun recipes at Tasty Tuesday)

What are some of your favorite homemade snacks?

6 comments:

  1. YUM! I am going to see if it is even possible to find a sugar free granola recipe, and then this would work great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oop. I found a sugar free recipe with lots of advice on how to alter it on this site http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Honey-Nut-Granola/Detail.aspx !!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These look good, just started making my own granola - I may have to try this recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks yummy - I actually saw Liz's comments and decided to try her granola recipe. I had all the ingredients and it was a quick fix. Only thing I did different was add a cup of white sugar.........JUST KIDDING!

    Maybe tomorrow I will use my homemade granola to make some homemade snacks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jodi Jodi Jodi. What are we going to do with you? ha!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wanted to post our granola bar recipe...just to share......I appreciate yours!
    2 1/2 cups oats 1/2 cup brown sugar
    1/2 cup Rice Krispies 1/2 tsp. vanilla
    1/4 cup coconut 1/2 tsp. salt
    1/2 cup butter 1/4 cup honey
    Add those extras you like...nuts, mini chips etc.
    Mix and pat hard into 8x8 pan. Bake 350 for 18-20 minutes...cool completely

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis