Thursday, October 15, 2009

How To Get Hundreds of Free Books


I love books. I am almost always reading a stack of them, mostly non-fiction, on a variety of subjects. Homemaking, parenting, marriage, cooking, you name it. If I were to buy all the books I love to read, it would add up to a small fortune. So how do I get these books for free? Let me share my frugal ways :)
If there is a book I want to read, I first check our library’s website to see if it is in the library’s collection. If not, I check to see if it is owned by any library in the state. If so, I will submit an interlibrary loan request. The book is shipped directly to my library, and I pick it up in a few days. For free. (Sometimes there is a fee, but this has not happened to me yet).

If the book is not owned by my library nor any other library in the state, I submit a purchase-order request. Many times, the library has fulfilled these requests; and after cataloging the item, I get to pick up the item and read it for the next three weeks (with the option of a renewal). (Same for DVD’s).

Sometimes, the library does not purchase the request. Do I then buy it on my own? No! I would then try the church library (or you could try this before your public library). The church my husband and I attended several years ago had a bustling library. I loved it! I got to know the librarian quite well, and she was often open to purchase order requests. Our current church library is not as well, current, so that is why I turn to our public library first.

Doing this saves our family a bunch of money on my reading addiction; and others, too, benefit from the wealth of information contained within the books. Once in a great while, I will purchase a book that I love so much that I want my own copy; but I will hardly ever purchase a book that I have not previewed first through the library (or from a friend). Books are not cheap, and I am so picky about which ones I buy that I hate to spend money on one only to find I don’t like it. That’s why I almost always preview this way first.

*update: I forgot to mention that the books pictured above were all free. I won the One Year Bible, and the rest I bought using Amazon gift cards. Since I love to read so much, I have an Amazon.com Visa. This allows me to earn points on our purchases. We pay off our balance in full each month; otherwise, I would not recommend this. Then, when we reach 2,500 points, I get a $25 Amazon gift card. When you use your card for medical expenses, it adds up fast (at least in our family!). If you are a die-hard Dave Ramsey fan and do not use credit cards at all, I know you can also earn Amazon gift cards through Swag Bucks.

How do you save money on books?

(This post is linked to Frugal Fridays, hosted by Life As Mom)

10 comments:

  1. Great post! I just recently discovered my church even had a library. Awesome resource!

    I also buy books from yard sales all summer and grab boxes people giveaway on Freecycle and Craigslist. When I am done I take them to the local paperback trader.

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I save money on books (especially our books for school) by using PaperBackSwap. I have already received most of the books we are using for social studies next year (lots of novels, biographies, etc.) just by starting early. WooHoo!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I liked the title of your post -- but when I read further, I realized it wasn't as good as it first sounded.... wink.

    You see, I too LOVE books - mostly non-fiction or biography, doctrine, theology and basic Christian living. But I like to become "one" with the book, so to speak. I cannot read without marking, highlighting and dog-earing grat portions. One of my family's most treasured possession is our book collection. Mounds of children's books and 2 huge double bookcases filled with great books. It is one area I never, never feel guilty about spending money on. A great home library is a gold mine.

    Obviously, these cost money, but we have decided to cut costs elsewhere (no cable, rarely eat out, etc) because the value of good books is priceless.

    Plus -- you can always count on the Hubert's as a great resource. Feel free to visit us and check out some books sometime, Cheryl :)!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. oops - great not grat in previous post! Can you fix that Cheryl???

    ReplyDelete
  5. It looks great Jodi! I didn't see what you were talking about (?)
    I updated the post, because you reminded me of something important I forgot to mention!
    Here's what I added in:
    Since I love to read so much, I have an Amazon.com Visa. This allows me to earn points on our purchases. We pay off our balance in full each month; otherwise, I would not recommend this. Then, when we reach 2,500 points, I get a $25 Amazon gift card. When you use your card for medical expenses, it adds up fast (at least in our family!). If you are a die-hard Dave Ramsey fan and do not use credit cards at all, I know you can also earn Amazon gift cards through Swag Bucks.
    --If you got one, and used it with Timothy's dental stuff, you'd have 3-$25 gift cards when you were done!! I will definitely come check out the Hubert libraray sometime :) Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. super idea i knew about requesting books but not about requesting new books

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cheryl -- Have an amazon credit card - use it lots, and have received many free $25. Love it! Funny about Tim's dental, though!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I try to always buy used books. I've had real good luck using the Amazon used book section. I always pass my books to my sister and brother in law. Both of them are suffering with this recession unemployment and this helps at least two other people.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You can also get amazon gift cards through CoinStar. Just take in your loose change and choose the gift card option. They don't charge a fee that way either! I'll collect my change for a few months, then take it in to exchange for a gift card. Then the card is either used for a treat for me or saved for Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  10. we have a goodwill bookstore in our town. hardbacks are .95 and paperbacks .80. I got the home comforts book there for .95! :)

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis