Growing up, whenever anyone in our house got sick, my mom compulsively sprayed Lysol disinfectant throughout the house. We couldn't touch the phone until she disinfected it. We couldn't open a door until she disinfected it. Spray, spray, spray. Whenever I see a can of Lysol, I immediately think of my mom and someone being sick.
Then when we become parents, we do the very things we thought we'd never do. With the swine flu--oops, sorry H1N1--spreading the country (along with a host of other bugs), I have been spraying Lysol throughout my home on any and every surface. My husband is even more vigilant than I am, and even the kids seem to think it's fun to spray Lysol (something about an aerosol can and being a boy). :)
Recently, I went to an urgent care office on the weekend. Even the nurses were spraying Lysol in the air. I asked if it is effective to use it that way, or if it only kills viruses and bacteria on surfaces. The nurse swore it worked to spray it in the air. However, I called Lysol today, and they said it is not recommended that way: that it only kills viruses and bacteria on surfaces. You must spray a surface and then allow it to air dry (about 10 minutes).
Here is some more information from Lysol.com (and no, I'm not getting paid in any way to write this testimonial!):
LYSOL® Disinfectant Spray is an EPA registered disinfectant that kills more than 99.9% of illness causing bacteria and viruses on environmental surfaces in your home.* Unlike other sanitizing products which only kill bacteria, LYSOL® Disinfectant Spray even kills nasty viruses that can cause illnesses such as the flu, the common cold, and infectious diarrhea among young children. It even works to control the growth of mold and mildew, among the most common type of allergens, on surfaces you seldom think of like plastic shower curtains. Mold spores are among the most common types of allergens in your home all year long. So killing mold and mildew can help to reduce your exposure. No wonder its the #1 brand recommended by pediatricians.
LYSOL® Disinfectant Spray can be used throughout your home on surfaces such as:
Use LYSOL® Disinfectant Spray to eliminate the following bacteria, fungi and viruses on hard non-porous surfaces*:
Rhinovirus (the leading cause of the common cold)
Rotavirus (the leading cause of infectious diarrhea in children)
Respiratory Syncytial Virus (RSV) (the leading cause of lower respiratory infection in children)
Staph MRSA and Strep
Athlete's Foot Fungus
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you want to keep your home as bug free as possible and your kids as healthy as possible (and who doesn't?!), get yourself a can of Lysol (there are $1 off coupons on Lysol.com) and give it a try! The scents smell great, and so far, no one in my house has gotten