Monday, January 31, 2011

The Joys of Motherhood

To the tune of "These Boots are Made for Walking":

These arms are made for holding,
And that's just what they'll do
And one of these days,
These arms are going to hold you
As you puke all over me too

I don't know what it is about being up all night with a sick child that reminds you of the simplest, and yet one of the most profound, truths of mothering. Your child needs you. In his or her worst moments, your child wants no one else but you. There's a comfort that a mother can bring that no one else in this world can.

With any other person, I would probably be more than a little grossed out if someone vomited all over me. I could maybe handle my husband throwing up on me. But my baby? Bring it on. In those moments, your child is completely helpless. As a mother, you feel nothing but sympathy and tremendous compassion. That's a mother's love.

Sometimes it takes a good puking-on to remind me, that despite bad days, there is a deep and everlasting bond between a mother and her child. It's hard to put into words, but it can be felt in the middle of the night as you hold and comfort a sick child. In that moment, you remember again how much you love that little one you're holding and how you would do anything for him. And even if you have to change your shirt for the fifth time in the night and wash more linens, that's a good feeling.

"As a mother comforts her child, so will I comfort you." (Isaiah 66:13)

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis