Monday, November 2, 2009

Daylight Savings Time Lends Me a Helping Hand

Wow, what a difference an extra hour can make when it comes to more effectively managing the home front! My boys, who don’t know how to tell time yet, just wake up when their internal clock tells them it’s time (usually between 7 and 7:30AM). Now that we are an hour back (somehow they missed that memo), they’re waking up at the same internal time…but now the clock is 6 or 6:30. This forces me to begin my day earlier. I am loving it!

As I’m going about my day, I keep glancing at the kitchen clock, which hasn’t been changed back yet. I am at about the same place I usually am in terms of what I have (and haven’t) gotten done yet. But then I realize—“Wait, it’s actually an hour earlier! I can pack so much more into this morning!” It’s just short of amazing!

So far this morning (it’s just about 11:00 as I write this), I have made breakfast, cleaned it all up, gotten everyone dressed and ready for the day, made the beds, read our Sonlight pre-K books to the boys, done a load of laundry, put a load of laundry away, put my baby down for a nap, enjoyed a cup of coffee and now am spending a few minutes writing this post. My husband won’t be home for lunch for another hour, and the boys are playing merrily in the sandbox. So what should I do with this extra hour? I could blow it on the computer or seize it by doing something that makes a difference in my house. I’ll be back!

I did find that utilizing that extra hour, rather than slowing time down and pushing everything back to where our usual routine lined up with the clock as it reads now, allowed me to get more done. I am grateful for it! This probably isn’t revolutionary to anyone (after all, it is the same concept of getting up an hour earlier) but it is helpful for me!  I have another thought about milking the most out of our minutes, and I’ll post about that tomorrow.

What do you think about Daylight Savings? Are you finding it helpful as well?

(Be sure to visit Gratituesday to be encouraged by what others are grateful for today!)

5 comments:

  1. Cheryl, you make me laugh! Not fixing my clocks BEFORE I went to bed on Saturday night would have put me over the edge!!! I couldn't get the one in the Yukon changed fast enough on the way to church -- just the thought of runing late for something sends me into a frenzy! Christie H. has a really funny color analysis of personalities she recently learned and she had me 100% accurate!!

    P.S. I am grateful today that all my clocks are on non-daylight savings time (wink).

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's great! I am always up before my boys, so I know what you mean about feeling like you've accomplished so much!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I did change our clocks, but I have been working that extra hour and it's made such a difference in my day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sheila, you're right :) I meant standard time--thanks for clarifying. It was the "falling back" part of dst ending that helped me. ;)

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis